Don't Just Live With Stubborn Nail Problems
posted: Aug. 24, 2016.
How your podiatrist in Alexandria can treat your ingrown toenail
Ingrown toenails are very common. They are also unsightly, painful, and can keep you from enjoying your active life. You don’t have to just live with a stubborn ingrown toenail when help is just a phone call away. Dr. Angelo Pace at Advanced Pace Foot And Ankle Center in Alexandria, Virginia wants to help you get relief from your ingrown toenail.
The best option is to prevent ingrown toenails before they can start. There are a few simple steps you can follow to prevent ingrown toenails. Your podiatrist in Alexandria wants you to remember to:
- Trim your toenails straight across
- Not trim your toenails too short
- Wear comfortable shoes with plenty of room for your toes
- Wear the right shoes for the activity you are doing
If you do get an ingrown toenail, there are some home remedies you can try to help get relief. Your podiatrist in Alexandria wants you to know about these simple tips you can try:
- Soaking your toe for 15 minutes in warm water a few times each day
- Wearing bandages or soft cotton to cushion and support your toe
- Applying antibiotic cream and covering your ingrown toenail
- Placing dental floss beneath your toenail to keep it above your skin
- Taking over-the-counter pain medications like Tylenol, Aleve or Advil
- Wearing open shoes or sandals until your toe heals
For stubborn ingrown toenails that don’t respond to home treatment, it’s time to visit your podiatrist in Alexandria. Common professional treatments available include:
- Gently lifting and separating your toenail from the surrounding tissue; this helps your toenail to grow normally and freely.
- Separating and trimming off the ingrown portion of your nail; this helps your toenail to grow normally above the soft tissue
- Removing your entire toenail; this allows a full, healthy toenail to grow in place of the infected toenail.
Don’t just live with a stubborn ingrown toenail that can impact your daily life. Get some relief from your pain by calling Dr. Angelo Pace at Advanced Pace Foot And Ankle Center in Alexandria, Virginia. Call today and get back on your feet!