Are You Struggling with Hammertoes?
posted: Jul 19, 2019.
Your toes may be tiny, but a hammertoe can cause big pain. A joint deformity that occurs on your big toe, a hammertoe can go from irritating to excruciating over time. Fortunately, here at Advanced Pace Foot and Ankle Center in Alexandria, VA, we can help determine the best treatment for you.
What causes hammertoe?
A hammertoe is usually caused by a muscle and tendon imbalance that causes the toe to bend and become deformed. Hammertoe can be painful, causing redness, inflammation, and the development of corns and calluses. There are many habits and traits that can lead to hammertoe, including:
- Wearing shoes that are too small or have pointed toe boxes
- Having an injury to your toe
- Having hammertoes run in your family
- Having a high foot arch
- Having tightened ligaments and tendons in your foot.
How can I treat my hammertoe?
Hammertoe can become progressively worse if left untreated. During an appointment, our Alexandria foot doctor will examine your foot and may take x-rays to determine which of the following will be the most effective treatment for you:
- A change in footwear: you may need to avoid high heels and improperly fitting or narrow shoes
- Toe pads to cushion your corns and calluses
- Orthotic inserts for your shoes
- Corticosteroid injections to alleviate pain and inflammation
- Anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen
- Splints or straps to help realign your toe
- Surgery: If you have rigid hammertoe (meaning you are no longer able to move the toe) surgery may be necessary. Surgical options include tendon transfer, joint resection, fusion, or amputation. If your hammertoe requires surgery, your Alexandria foot doctor will administer a local anesthetic or possibly general anesthesia. Fortunately, you should be able to go home the same day.
Concerned? Give us a call
With changes to your footwear and the expertise and care of your Alexandria foot doctor, hammertoe relief is within reach. Contact Advanced Pace Foot and Ankle Center today for all of your foot care needs.