How Can I Alleviate My Bunion Pain?
posted: Apr. 25, 2016.
What you can do if you have a bunion
If you have a large, hard, painful bump right next to your big toe, chances are you have a bunion. Sometimes the pain can be unbearable and you can’t even put on your shoes! You may have difficulty walking and getting through your daily activities. If only you could alleviate your pain! Your podiatrists at Advanced Pace Foot and Ankle Center in Alexandria, Virginia want you to know how you can get relief from your bunion pain.
Typically, bunions appear in women more than men. In fact, over fifty percent of the women in America suffer from bunion pain, according to the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. Many women wear narrow shoes which crush their toes and high heels only add to the problem. The result is chronic irritation and friction, causing a bunion.
Your podiatrists at Advanced Pace Foot and Ankle Center want to tell you about some home therapies you can try if your bunion is still small. Consider:
- Wearing wide, comfortable shoes with plenty of room for your toes
- Wearing padded inserts or orthotics in your shoes
- Icing your bunion several times during the day
- Taking pain and anti-inflammatory medications like Tylenol or ibuprofen
- Taping your foot with athletic tape to cushion and support the bunion
For larger, more painful bunions, it’s best to visit your podiatrists at Advanced Pace Foot and Ankle Center. They can take x-rays to determine the extent of bone involvement and do a thorough examination to develop a customized treatment plan. They will suggest professional treatments including:
- Cortisone injections in the area of the bunion to relieve pain
- Straightening your big toe and foot to correct poor alignment
- Surgically fusing your toe joints together to provide support
- Surgically removing excess bone or tissue in your big toe
You don’t need to suffer from painful bunion pain. If you need help alleviating your bunion pain, it’s time to call in the experts at Advanced Pace Foot and Ankle Center in Alexandria, Virginia. They are ready to help you get back into your life, so call today!